This is a very common question that how to Add a Favicon to Website or Blog? This is a pretty common mistake that not adding a favicon to a web site. Here we will discuss why this is so important and how to create a favicon.
Favicon or Site Icon is the site identifier that is the small icon image that appears next to the website meta title in the browser. This favicon or site icon helps users identify or recall a website. The common feature of a favicon is used as a logo, which means the logo can be used as favicon. Frequent site visitors of your web page will construct an instant reputation for that icon image. Favicon is a brand identifier. It increases site recognition and helps to make trust among users. The website looks more professional.
How to create a favicon for a website or blog?
If you know photoshop or any other image editor then it’s easier to create a favicon faster. Before we have discussed that use the brand logo is the best option for a favicon.
All website supports the favicon extension as (.ico) and size (16px x 16px)
Example: favicon.ico or favicon.png
- Generate from image
- Generate from text
Here we will show the first option from the start.
- Open the brand logo with any image editor like photoshop and make a square sized image preferable 512px. There are multiple sizes required for different devices like iPad, iPhone and other devices.All the required favicon sizes can be generated from the above-mentioned size.
- Save the image with (PNG) format. If you already have the image the generate favicon online.Most of the browsers support the (.png or .ico) format. You are done with the favicon.
- There is another option to create a favicon. Some websites use (font) as favicon instead of the brand logo or any image.
How to Add a Favicon to Website or Blog
There are several ways to add a favicon to the website or blog. Some CMS platform like WordPress gives the user more flexibility to add a favicon to website or blog.
WordPress is mostly used for blogging or personal branding and more user friendly, no need to be technical.
- Login to WordPress admin.
- After login got to Appearance > Customize, from the left panel.
- Select Site Identity from the left panel.
- In the end, find the Select site icon option and it will give icon upload option.
- The icon should be uploaded and it will give the image crop option to look proper before save.
- After saving, it will redirect to the Site Identity screen again and select the Publish button from the top-right corner.
- Now refresh the website and favicon to be reflected on the left side of the title. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to display.
Now, it will show another process to add a favicon to the website. This process is common for all platforms.
- First, need to upload the brand logo or icon to be uploaded through FTP Client
- Open the PHP file, where <head></head> tag is available.
- The below-mentioned code to be added inside the <head> tag for site favicon.
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="https://learndigitalmarketingfree.com/favicon.ico"/>
How to Create Favicon Online
Here we will discuss if you don’t want to hire any developer or designer to create your website identity. Click the below links to create your own and upload to your website.
Adding a favicon to a website is very easy. Yes, it depends individually.
We have discussed both of the processes, creating from an image or logo and create from a font.
Creating favicon from an image will be always a first option. The image icon carries the value or identity of a website.